Facilitating Health and Wholeness
Five-Step Plan for Work Simplification
- Select job/activity to be improved:
- This is a task that takes too long, makes you too tired or requires too much exertion.
- Review the job/activity and equipment used:
- Why is it necessary?
- What is the purpose?
- When should it be done?
- How is the best way for me to do it?
- Where should it be done?
- Breakdown of the details of accomplishing the job/activity: (List all details.)
- What do you need to do to get ready? Tools, equipment
- What body motions are necessary to accomplish the job/activity?
- What needs to be cleaned up and put away?
- Eliminate unnecessary details
- Combine motions and activities
- Rearrange the sequence of the job/activity
- Simplify all necessary details
- Apply the new method: (Ask for help if possible.)
This educational website contains information on Rheumatoid Arthritis, joint protection principles, energy conservation techniques and adaptive equipment.
- Rearrange tools and equipment
- Readjust working heights and areas
- Set up work stations
- Discard items not used
*Source: Department of Rehabilitation Medicine, St. Mary's Hospital, Minneapolis, MN